On this two day cultural tour of Chãos Portugal you will spend two unforgettable days exploring the landscapes of the Candeeiros mountain range on a donkey’s back, participating in traditional activities like weaving, bread and cheese making and jumping into the historic role of a salt pan worker. Definitely an experience not to be missed!
You will get intimate contact with nature in the Natural Park of Serras de Aire e Candeeiros, and stay in the small mountain village of Chãos near Rio Maior, just a few kilometers outside of Lisbon.
- Explore the mountain ranges of Candeeiros on a Donkey.
- Participate in traditional workshops based on your interest or either bread making, cheese making or basket weaving.
- Learn and practice salt work at the salt pans of Rio Maior
- Spend the night in a small mountain village
Location: Chãos, Portugal
Duration: 2 days / 1 night
Season: April to October
Difficulty: 1 2 3 4 5
Minimum: 1 passenger
- Up to 2 people: 150€/person
- Up to 5 people: 140€/person
- Up to 8 people: 130€/person
- More than 9 people: 120€/person
Duration: 2 Days/ 1 Night Season: April to October
Group Departures: Every Week
Day 1: Exploring on Donkey, Making Bread, Cheese or Baskets
Explore the endless paths and landscapes of the Candeeiros mountain range on the back of a friendly donkey! After a hearty lunch at the restaurant “Terra Chã”, you’ll get to participate in a traditional workshop. Which workshop you will follow is dependent on the availability and your own personal preference. You could spend your afternoon learning how to make bread or cheese or discover the art of weaving!
- Bread workshop – We invite you to make your own bread and learn about some old superstitions revolving around the practice. Knead it and let it rise before you bake it cross! And in the end, of course, you’ll take a bite and see whether you could prove your skills!
- Cheese workshop – Dare to milk a goat from our herd and learn how to turn it into your own delicious cheese?
- Weaving Workshop – Experience the whole process of crafting your own textile piece from warp to weaving!
The rest of the afternoon will be free for you to relax and reflect on the new skills you gathered, to get mesmerized by the beautiful landscapes around you or to discover the trails and smells of the flora of the Candeeiros mountain range. Maybe you’ll also simply feel like taking a stroll around the village of Chãos. But the day isn’t over just yet! After dinner, there’s still time for a night walk full of surprises and good vibes.
Day 2: A day in the Salt Pans
After a good night’s rest, your next day will start early in the morning and provide you with another unique experience! We invite you to become a salt worker for one day and experience the traditional salt work in the natural salinas (salt pans) of Rio Maior. You’ll be using traditional tools and of course get to take “your” salt back home.
The professional salt workers will teach you everything you need to know about the historical background of this industry, the traditional work practices at the salt pads as well as their formation and importance. And finally, the moment will come to get active yourself! Pick up the tools and jump right into the daily life of a salt worker, “working” in the pans and splashing around in the salt water.
- What's Included?
- What is the itinerary of this experience?
- What is ImpacTrip's Cancellation and Refund Policy?
- All meals described in the program
- Professionals and local guides for the activities
- Tools and materials for all the experiences
10:00 am | Arrival at Chãos village – Accommodation in “Terra Chã”
10:30 am | Donkey ride
01:30 pm | Lunch at the restaurant “Terra Chã”
02:30 pm | Village Flavors Workshops
05:00 pm | Free time to rest or explore the village of Chãos and the Candeeiros mountain range
08:00 pm | Dinner at the restaurant “Terra Chã”
09:00 pm | Night walk Orientation Tour
09:00 am | Breakfast
09:30 am | Become a salt worker for one day
05:30 pm | End of activity
Impactrip deposit fees are designed to be as affordable as possible to allow everyone to join our programs. Therefore, considering its limited capacity and the expectations of everyone involved, ImpacTrip is unable to provide a total refund policy.
The payment of the deposit fees confirms a volunteer’s acceptance onto one of ImpacTrip’s volunteer programs. Deposit fees are not transferable to other people but may be transferable to another program.
The deposit fee is refundable until sixty days before the start date of the volunteer’s chosen program. Requests for deposit fee refunds must be made via an email to your ImpacTrip Booking Manager, clearly detailing the reasons for cancellation.
Cancellations are subject to the following policies:
- The notice period is based on the earliest start date the volunteer has ever been registered for.
- If a volunteer cancels sixty days or more before their earliest program start date, they can request a refund of the deposit fee, which will be provided minus the transaction costs of the refund. Alternatively, they may ask for a deposit fee credit to be held in their name for future use on any ImpacTrip program, subject to availability, for a period of twelve months from their earliest registered start date. This credit may be issued minus the value of any change fees the volunteer has incurred.
- If a volunteer cancels between fifty-nine and thirty days before their program’s start date, no refund of the deposit fee is available. A deposit fee credit may be held in their name for a period of twelve months from their earliest registered start date, for future use on another ImpacTrip program, subject to program availability and at the discretion of the Impactrip Booking Manager.
- If a volunteer cancels less than thirty days before their programs start date, no refund of any fees is available. A deposit fee credit may be held in their name for twelve months from their earliest registered start date, subject to availability, provided deposit fees have been paid in full by their due date.
Where a group of ten or more people is volunteering with ImpacTrip, the group leader must register ahead of other group members in order to secure the group’s dates and plans. Group members must then register no less than sixty days before the program starts. Group members who register less than sixty days before the program start date may be excluded from the program unless approved by ImpacTrip.
ImpacTrip reserves the right to revise its program fees at any time. All program fees revisions will be made via the ImpacTrip website. Program fee revisions are not applicable to volunteers who have already submitted their payment before the revisions are due to take effect. A volunteer’s placement on a program is not confirmed until the deposit fee has been paid in full and the availability has been confirmed by their ImpacTrip Booking Manager.