The Cascais by Art Tour was born out of a partnership between ImpacTrip and the project Take.it, funded by the Escolhas Program and managed by Fundação O Século, which has been present in Bairro da Torre in Cascais ever since March 2013. The initiative was created to value the capacity of mobilization and the initiative that the group Somos Torre has had in its community. In fact, the Bairro da Torre has gained a new sense of community, reflecting itself, too, in intergenerational relations.
During your tour, you will get to visit an open-air museum that introduces you to the story of a community – full of colors, feelings, change, friendship and equalities. You will take a stroll through the streets of the Torre neighborhood, revealing their true stories through their street-art filled buildings that once used to be covered with racist graffiti.
This is Cascais by Art, an urban art gallery that has transformed a neighborhood as well as the people who live within it. In addition to dressing the buildings with color, joy, and positivity, these true works of art covered up the racist and xenophobic messages, provided opportunities to the local youth, reunited people and immortalized stories of this neighborhood that housed the many fishermen from the Cascais Sea.
The melancholic stories of the Bairro da Torre are told from personal testimony and first-person perspective by young guides formed by the group Somos Torre and by ImpacTrip to make this social business even more dynamic. As you are strolling through the streets of the Bairro da Torre, you’ll hear thought-provoking stories of transformation, overcoming and unity. At each corner, you’ll receive a friendly smile, a “Bom Dia!” (Hello!) or a curious look off a balcony, and you will feel that spirit of community and friendship that for many years hasn’t been seen in that neighborhood. This tour will not only leave a positive contribution to the local community but also to your stay in Portugal!
- Visit the Mouraria neighborhood
- Learn about Portugal’s ancient history
- Learn about the multi-ethnic customs and traditions of Lisbon
This tour helps support multiple projects. Migrantour – New Roots is a European project that aims to promote immigrants and refugees, in the creation of a new narrative about immigration. Have been implemented in 5 countries and 10 European cities.
‘A Walk for Diversity’ is an urban walking tour that promotes the active integration of the refugee and immigrant community into the Portuguese society, demonstrating in full bloom all the benefits and untapped potential of a truly multicultural society. Discover this neighborhood through the eyes of a local as the migrant guides will share their most personal and cultural stories and memories with you during this 2.5-hour walking tour through the alleyways of Mouraria, in an experience that will really stimulate all your senses.
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Duration: 2 Hours
Season: All Year
Difficulty: 1 2 3 4 5
Minimum: 1 Person
- $20 per person
Duration: 2 Hours
Group Departures: Daily
What’s Included on your walking tour?
Impactrip deposit fees are designed to be as affordable as possible to allow everyone to join our programs. Therefore, considering its limited capacity and the expectations of everyone involved, ImpacTrip is unable to provide a total refund policy.
The payment of the deposit fees confirms a volunteer’s acceptance onto one of ImpacTrip’s volunteer programs. Deposit fees are not transferable to other people but may be transferable to another program.
The deposit fee is refundable until sixty days before the start date of the volunteer’s chosen program. Requests for deposit fee refunds must be made via an email to your ImpacTrip Booking Manager, clearly detailing the reasons for cancellation.
Cancellations are subject to the following policies:
- The notice period is based on the earliest start date the volunteer has ever been registered for.
- If a volunteer cancels sixty days or more before their earliest program start date, they can request a refund of the deposit fee, which will be provided minus the transaction costs of the refund. Alternatively, they may ask for a deposit fee credit to be held in their name for future use on any ImpacTrip program, subject to availability, for a period of twelve months from their earliest registered start date. This credit may be issued minus the value of any change fees the volunteer has incurred.
- If a volunteer cancels between fifty-nine and thirty days before their program’s start date, no refund of the deposit fee is available. A deposit fee credit may be held in their name for a period of twelve months from their earliest registered start date, for future use on another ImpacTrip program, subject to program availability and at the discretion of the Impactrip Booking Manager.
- If a volunteer cancels less than thirty days before their programs start date, no refund of any fees is available. A deposit fee credit may be held in their name for twelve months from their earliest registered start date, subject to availability, provided deposit fees have been paid in full by their due date.
Where a group of ten or more people is volunteering with ImpacTrip, the group leader must register ahead of other group members in order to secure the group’s dates and plans. Group members must then register no less than sixty days before the program starts. Group members who register less than sixty days before the program start date may be excluded from the program unless approved by ImpacTrip.
ImpacTrip reserves the right to revise its program fees at any time. All program fees revisions will be made via the ImpacTrip website. Program fee revisions are not applicable to volunteers who have already submitted their payment before the revisions are due to take effect. A volunteer’s placement on a program is not confirmed until the deposit fee has been paid in full and the availability has been confirmed by their ImpacTrip Booking Manager.