Experience the most beautiful African bush and wildlife with the Maasai in Tanzania. This amazing journey takes you to trek on foot in Ngorongoro with Maasai and their donkeys where you see the wild game and amazing nature. On our trek, we sleep in Maasai villages and in the wild African savanna in tents. The highlights of the trek are the great views of the Maasai peoples’ secret mountain Oldonyo Lengai, Lake Natron and the Rift Valley.
Besides trekking, you will also visit Lake Natron and its famous flamingo breeding sites and explore Serengeti National parks and its plains. This is a once-in-a-lifetime trip where you can expect to encounter all the major species in this part of the world and there’s a good chance of doing so on foot.
- Amazing wildlife and African nature
- Sleep in the bush and Maasai villages
- Enjoy bush walks with the Maasai warriors
- Visit Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti National Parks
- Dine every night under the African stars in our bush camps
- Travel with the Maasai and explore their rich culture
- Dance and sing with the Maasai
From every stay booked with us, the local Maasai families and community benefit the most.
June 11-19, 2019
September 11-19, 2019
November 1-9, 2019
December 26, 2019 – January 3, 2020
DAY 1: Arrival Day
Arrive in Kilimanjaro airport, transfer to Karibu Heritage Hotel in Arusha. Dinner together.
DAY 2: Visit First Maasai Village
Transfer from Arusha to Alilelai Maasai village in Ngorongoro Conservation Area. Enjoy magnificent views and wild game inside the Ngorongoro. Dinner and welcoming celebrations with lots of dance and singing by the Maasai warriors and women.
DAY 3: Maasai Walking Tour Begins
Head to the Empakai from where we start our walking safari with the Maasai and donkeys. Enjoy fantastic views and wildlife. A picnic lunch on the savanna. In the evening we set up a camp in the bush and dine together.
DAY 4: Trek with Maasai
Trek with the Maasai until we reach the Rift Valley. The most probably you see many zebras, giraffes, wildebeest, and other animals. Rest and recover in a campsite where we arrive in the afternoon.
DAY 5: Full Day in Lake Natron
Enjoy your full day in Lake Natron where we see flamingos, swim in waterfalls and do a bush walk and have a picnic lunch with the Maasai. We sleep and dine in a campsite.
DAY 6: Head to Serengeti National Park
Head to Serengeti National Park. A game drive and dinner in the most beautiful bush camp under the African stars.
DAY 7: Serengeti Game Drive
Enjoy game drives in Serengeti full day. Transfer to another Maasai village in Ngorongoro. Enjoy delicious Maasai barbecue by an open fire with the Maasai warriors. Enjoy Maasai dancing and singing.
DAY 8: Game Drive in Ngorongoro
Head to the Ngorongoro Crater and enjoy a game drive inside the Crater. Transfer back to Arusha in Karibu Heritage hotel where we arrive in the late afternoon.
DAY 9. Departure day
Transfer to Kilimanjaro airport.
9 Days Trekking with Maasai
Why we love Visit Natives
Visit Natives' mission is to support sustainable tourism that benefits indigenous peoples directly. Visit Natives brings positive change in the world because it matters how we travel. Our cause is to help indigenous peoples like Maasai to maintain their culture and traditional livelihood through sustainable indigenous tourism.
By booking with Visit Natives, travelers become part of an effort to preserve indigenous cultures and to respect the fragile nature. Visit Natives works to advance our understanding of the world’s indigenous peoples and the nature they have a close relationship with.
Visit Natives believes in fair tourism where nature and local people are respected. From every stay booked with Visit Natives, the local Maasai families and community benefit the most.
What's Included on your 9 days Trekking with the Maasai in Tanzania?
- 8 nights’ accommodation (2 in Karibu Heritage hotel, 6 in a tent; shared among 2 people)
- All camping supplies including sleeping bags and mattresses
- All Transfers and Transport by a privet four-wheel safari jeep
- Meals and beverages: full Board – breakfast, lunch or picnic lunch and dinner
- All National Park and camping fees
- Native Maasai guides and an international guide who is an African researcher
- Flights and airport taxes. (Option we can organize a flight from your destination to JRO).
- Items of a personal nature.
- Compulsory tips for guides, porters, and cook.
- Entry visa for Tanzania (US $50 per passport holder for most nationalities / US $ 100 per visa for USA passport holders).
- Health requirements (Yellow Fever – only compulsory if you travel to Tanzania via a Yellow Fever infected country, Meningitis & Hepatitis A remains optional but comes recommended).
- Single supplement, for single tent/room, per trip $250.